Trying to get UltraVNC (version 126.96.36.199) to run as a system service is a pain in the ass if you don’t follow a specific set of steps during the setup process. It appears that if you check the box to install it as a service during the initial installation wizard, you will encounter the annoying “Password Not Set” error and nothing works. I also had issues with running the MSI installer rather than the EXE, so stick with the executable if you’re in a rush. I don’t have time at the moment to write up a giant all-encompassing post with accompanying pictures and what have you so here’s what you gotta’ to do:
- Run the UltraVNC installer – Setup.exe
- Accept the defaults until you get to the Select Components screen
- Check UltraVNC Server + UltraVNC Viewer if you want it
- On the Select Additional Tasks screen, DO NOT select “Register UltraVNC Server as a system service” or “start or restart UltraVNC service”.
- Finish the install
- Go to the UltraVNC Program Files folder and run “winvnc.exe”
- Right click on the VNC tray icon and go to Admin Properties
- Set your VNC passwords and any other options you want and click OK
- Right click on the VNC tray icon again and shut down the program
- Back in the Program Files folder, open up “uvnc_settings.exe” and make any other changes you want to the settings.
- If you did make changes click OK to save them and then go back into “uvnc_settings.exe”, if you didn’t make any changes go to the next step.
- Go to the Service tab and click “Install Service
- Then click “Start Service”and close out the window
- Open VNC viewer and make a test connection to the host.